Massage Therapy ( RMT )
Studies have shown that both massage therapy and exercise can help to increase the strength of your immune system.
On top of helping you relax, massage improves your circulation and immune response. A strong immune system requires that the lymphatic system be functioning optimally as this is where your infection fighting white blood cells and antibodies are distributed throughout the body. Since the lymphatic system has no pump, it relies on other forces such as massage and muscular contraction to move fluids to where the wasted products can be destroyed and disposed of. In addition to aiding with the lymphatic system, massage also helps to reduce levels of stress hormones such at cortisol which inhibit the immune system.
(According to a study in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, people who had a 45-minute Swedish massage had an 18 percent spike in infection fighting white blood cells.)
When you exercise, you increase your respiratory rate which translates into more bacteria and foreign particles being flushed out of your system. Similarly, when you exercise you also increase the amount that you sweat which can also help to remove waste products. Combining all of this extra waste removal decreases your risk of infection because there are less infectious agents present in the body. A second reason why exercise helps im-munity is that it increases your heart rate. With this increase, the white blood cells and other components of the immune system react more.
The best way to stay healthy is prevention. Make sure you are eating right, getting enough sleep and helping your body stay strong with regular exercise and massage therapy. Ask us about our customized exercise programs and massage therapy treatments.
- A Series of Treatments using Strengthening and Stretching combined with Swedish / Non-Swedish Massage Techniques
- Effective for Strengthening weakened antagonist muscles
- To Lengthen shortened or contracted tissue
- Motor Recruitment
- Proprioception, Balance & Coordination
- Patient Education and Home Care Exercises
Registered Massage Therapists
- For Restoration of Altered Biomechanics due to Occupation or Injury, Sprains, Strains, Pain, Tendonitis, Bursitis, Sciatica and many other disorders
- For General Relaxation & Stress Management
- To Promote Healthy Energy Flow & Circulation